June 26, 2008

Good bye Frankfurt

It was on Wednesday night when I first noticed how many people I would miss once I would take off into my new adventure. Gill (my flatmate) and I had a farewell party which was one of those events that make yourself realize how many people care for you. Thank you very much all for coming, for letting us have such a great time, and also for the Chile guide book and the diary (which is already filled with loads of my thoughts). After a long fun night I had to organize loads of things on Thursday that just needed to be done while I was still in Germany. Having done that successfully I went to the Rossmarkt in Frankfurt downtown to watch the game Germany vs. Portugal. It was good fun, an amazing atmosphere and loads of beer over myself cause the people lost control over their hands (with the beers) every time (so three times) when the Germans shot a goal. A little bit tipsy myself I went home, packed everything that was left in my empty flat and went for a short rest.

The next morning Gill and I left for the airport. Starting to realize what I was about to do-leaving the country once more-my knees got a little bit shaky (and that whilst I had to carry my backpack, 20.5 kilos-yeah, I know it is a lot but it is freakin' winter here). Having arrived at the airport everything went wrong which could have possibly gone wrong. Nothing really serious but just some comfort I could have gotten. IGUAL!!! Saying good-bye to Gill was not too easy, but it was time to go. I passed security, and that science fiction style Iris scan (a new way to get through customs-you really got to sign up for this. You do not have to wait in line and you feel like in a star wars...). Before I boarded the plane I went to one of the lounges I was working at for the past year. I got some coffee, some breaky, and some magazines (no worries guys, none of our big bosses is gonna read this :) and hopped on the plane that was parked directly in front of the lounge's windows. After fought through to my seat of the 747 I seriously saw my people standing at the window looking out for me. So I got out my already switched-off phone, gave them a buzz, told them where my seat was and we indeed could see each other. Everybody, cook, service, supervisor, and dish washers were giving me a warm good-bye. I realized: Just a few more minutes and I am gone-Thanks to all of you who had been standing there!!!

The flight was half as interesting as the airport scenario. I had really good looking flight attendants which were nice to chat with in the galley, I had loads of space eventhough I was travelling eco, and yeah, Lufthansa's service really was surprisingly good (sorry guys for critisizing all the time). What else, drank a lot, ate a lot (even got a cognac), slept a lot, read a lot, wrote diary, and by God I enjoyed that dark orange, deep blue sky once we were about to land in Buenos Aires!!! Just like two years ago: The sky in the Southern hemisphere is soooo much more astonishing. Once having landed I was surrounded by rain and wind. But hey, who cares about the weather when a good friend of good old times is picking you up?

No comments: