June 1, 2008

Now here we go again...

...it has been a little more than a year that I have spent in Germany and now the next adventure is waiting for me-Puerto Varas, Chile. But before talking about the whens, whys, whats I want to give a brief review of the last year. The most important to say is that I have to tell my parents a very SPECIAL THANKS!!! After returning from my little round-the-world-trip they gave me shelter, nurished me, and gave me a warm welcome and a lot of support when it came to finding a job. Without them, life would have been a lot more complicated...

After two months at my parents' in Berlin my destiny sent me to Frankfurt in July '07-a city I never wanted to live at. Now, after almost a year I can tell everybody: It is not the most beautiful city filled with lifestyle but it is also not as bad as people say it would be! And as most of the tourism industry is situated here I might very likely come back to Frankfurt some day. The other half is in Munich-but who would want to live in Bavaria?!? I started working at Do & Co, the catering company that is supplying Lufthansa's First Class Lounges at Frankfurt Aiport. Back in hospitality I had a very rough time for the first few months-lets say up till January '08. Being back in Germany, caught in the huzzle and buzzle of everyday life was a lot harder to get used to than I thought it would be. I struggled a lot till about November but from then on things got a lot better: found myself, my social environment, and started to get used to my job. Yet I knew that Do & Co was no perspective for the future and I had to find something new. Again it turned out to be a little bit more difficult than expected. I had a few job interviews but in the end it never worked out. After having done some thinking I decided to follow-up on a dream I had since I was studying Tourism Management in Freiburg: Southamerica and fluent Spanish :)!

I sent out many applications with no success, except for one: Protours Chile. One of the managers was traveling to London (via Frankfurt) in March and we met at the airport to have a chat. We went to a bar and René (the manager) ordered a big beer. So I decided to do the same (eventhough I already had some at the Main-river-damn, it is summer, what do you expect). René really seemed to be just a little tipsy after the second beer. Must have been the long flight or something...A week later I had the job. And now it is less than three weeks when I will board LH flight 510 taking me on the 20 June to Buenos Aires, Argentina. From there a busride, only two days long, will take me over the Andes to Puerto Varas. I am really excited for all the adventures, nature, work, and experiences that are waiting for me. And for those of you who want to be part of the adventure a very welcome to follow me on this blog!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jan altes haus,

wünsche dir ganz viel spass und viele tolle erfahrungen in chile! und ich erwarte natürlich, dass deine mails dann auf spanisch sein werden :-D!!!

GLG elena