June 26, 2008

Hello Argentina

I do have to admit that I did not know what I had to expect of Buenos Aires. All you read is: Be careful, there is loads of crime and a tourist's life is in danger. Well, I tell you what!? It turned out to be nothing like this!!! Janna, Jorge (her boyfriend), and I took that 45-minute drive with the Remis (you go roundtrip but pay just for oneway-very nice institution) to their house. The airport really is in the middle of nowhere (the regular bus is cheaper, but hey, it takes two hours). I did not feel too much of a jetlack. It was a day-flight so it never got dark. Time difference is five hours and so the Friday night just got really long. The Argentinian lifestyle is crazy-it seems like they do not a lot of sleep. You go out for dinner at about 11p.m. (and as you are in a wine-producing country you obviously have some) yet the people get up at 7 or 8a.m. to be at work on time...Anyway, so the night of my arrival we went out to a tipical Parilla and gosh: Me estoy cagando de frio (it just means that I was not very happy about the temperature :). When you order a Parilla you get a little barbecue with loads of meet on it-everything: rips, kidneys, liver, intestines filled with di....., some salad and of course wine. A little bit later two Argentinians got out their guitars, played some folklore and others got up to dance that traditional folklore. I was finally back: out of the materialistic, rather negative thinking mentality I was back in a world I so much appreciate: lifestyle, culture and people that smile even if they do not mean to. I escaped the triste everyday life in Frankfurt (eventhough I do not want to complain about my time in Frankfurt) and was on my first night in a place from which I could learn so much and which just made me happy-I was overwhelmed (although I was really tired!!!).

Luckily I did not have to get up early in the morning. Yet I did worry a little bit about to get to Puerto Varas, Chile on time. Would there be a bus going? Was the pass over the Andes open or was it closed because of too much snow? After we got up we took that long long journey to the long-distance bus station to get a ticket. Everything worked out fine. I got the ticket (and had even one day more in Buenos Aires as planned), did not pay a lot of money, and luckily had Janna with me who get help me loads with Spanish. It was when I started realizing that it would NOT be easy at all to get my Spanish going-and it still turns out to be true. Janna and I did some sight seeing, not too much. We went to places no tourist goes to. We went on a subway that was older than the age of my whole family (adding up their ages), had more parillas, enjoyed more folklore, did some shopping, baked alfajores, talked loads (we had not seen each other in a looong time), went on a traditional "cowboy" market offering really nice things made of would, lama hairs, etc. and just had a great time. When I left on Monday morning we both tastified that we are indeed good friends although we haven't kept in touch lately. Thanks for those two amazing days Janna!!!

No comments: